Cobalt Photography Competition Terms and Conditions
Cobalt is launching a photography competition from which twelve images will be selected for a 2022 calendar, copies of which will be sold to raise funds Cobalt’s Teenage and Young Adult Cancer Nurse.
The images for the calendar and other selected submissions will also feature in a combined print and digital exhibition at Linton House or other suitable venue, subject to Covid guidance, after which the photographers of the calendar images will be presented with a framed copy of their picture.
The competition is open to everyone, including under 16 year olds, with the exception of Cobalt employees involved in organising the competition and individuals involved in the judging and administration of the competition.
There is no time restriction set on when photographs were taken.
Competition Themes: Images must fit within one of three themes:
- Nature in all its forms: Anything to do with Nature; flora, fauna, landscapes, geological features, seek out images from the natural world around us.
- Caring & Sharing: Caring is central to the work of Cobalt and along with sharing is vital to most of us on the planet; get creative with your interpretation of what this means to you.
- Happiness is…: A wide interpretation of what makes people happy. Make us smile!
There is no limit to the number of images you can enter or themes. There is also no age limit. A prize will be awarded for the best Under 16 image as well as to the best over 16!
The competition will run from 1st March 2021 until 31 August 2021. Entries must be received by midnight on 31 August 2021 to be eligible for judging. With best endeavours, we plan to notify winners by 11th September 2021.
All entries must be submitted in digital format, as JPEGS, via the Cobalt website https://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/capture-a-moment-for-cobalt/
Entry to the competition is a minimum donation of £2 per image. This donation will help fund the work of Cobalt’s Teenage & Young Adult Cancer Nurse who supports some of the most vulnerable in our society; 16 - 25 year olds who have been given a diagnosis of cancer.
After donation you will be redirected to the website of the organisation administering the competition, in order to upload your image(s) for display and judging.
IMPORTANT: because the ultimate purpose of the competition is to produce a printed calendar, if your photograph has been taken on a mobile phone or other device, please email the image in the highest resolution your device will allow (ideally 3507 x 2481 pixels, or bigger).
Entries must be genuine photographs and must not have pixels added from an external source, with the following three permitted exceptions (which are intended to overcome camera limitations):
- Focus-stacking: Out-of-plane stacking of single photographs to overcome depth of field limitations;
- Panorama-stitching: In-plane stitching of photographs comprising a contiguous scene to overcome spatial limitations of capture, and;
- Exposure Blending / High Dynamic Range imaging: Merging a range of otherwise essentially identical photographs to overcome dynamic range limitations of the sensor.
If selected as a winner, Cobalt will endeavour to notify the entrant of selection using the details provided at the time of entry. If no response is received from the entrant within 14 days of notification, Cobalt reserves the right to offer the place to another entrant.
All entries will be reviewed, shortlisted, and selected anonymously. Each entry must have a title and neither the image title nor file name may contain the name of the photographer. You will be asked to specify the title of your image(s) when uploading so you do not have to rename your image to its title, although you are of course welcome to.
Complete your name, email address and phone number on the upload page. Under 16s will also be asked for their birth date.
Images may not appear in the competition gallery for up to 48 hours.
Any entry considered to be indecent, illegal or likely to cause offence may be disqualified at the discretion of Cobalt management.
Images must be your own work, for which you thereby hold the copyright. Entrants whose images are selected for the calendar will be asked to certify the same to be the case. If there is a later copyright dispute as a result of the image being published, you will be asked to produce the original image file.
Images entered to the Cobalt Photography Competition must not infringe any copyright or other intellectual property rights of any third party. Avoid images of branded products and public figures. Also please ensure anyone who is recognisable in an entry knows they may be displayed in an exhibition and calendar, and gives their permission in writing using a Permission Release Form. A suitable Permission Release Form can be downloaded here https://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/photo-permission-form/. If they don’t explicitly give permission in writing using this form please don’t submit the photo as an entry.
Entrants agree to indemnify Cobalt against any and all legal proceedings initiated by a third party in respect of copyright or intellectual property infringement.
By entering this competition you retain copyright on your image(s), but grant Cobalt a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce any image submitted for all purposes related to the project in perpetuity. That simply means Cobalt can:
- use the image in the proposed 2022 calendar or future calendars
- print the image to prepare prize awards
- display it in their premises
- display it in any other form relevant to Cobalt photography competitions, such as on the Cobalt website, in print or in an exhibition
- use it for publicity purposes should Cobalt decide to run further competitions
- use the image to support Cobalt’s charitable work
You also grant the administrators of the competition (Through The Lens Photography - TTLP – trading as YOURSPACE Competitions) a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to use the image in perpetuity only for the purpose of illustrating sample entries to TTLP competitions to TTLP prospective customers, whether by electronic or other means of reproduction.
In any future use of an image by either Cobalt or TTLP, the copyright of its creator will be acknowledged.
Image reproduction: In order to ensure optimum reproduction of images selected for display and for any images to be printed and framed as prizes, entrants are deemed to have given permission for the competition organisers to make amendments to the image submitted when preparing it for printing. Such amendments would be minor in nature and would not substantially alter the integrity of the original image.
- The photographers of the 12 images selected for the calendar and the winner of the Under 16 category will each receive:
- a framed print of their image, courtesy of WallSpace and DS Colour Labs
- a 12-month digital subscription to Amateur Photographer Premium Edition
- a photography book
- 1st prize Overall Winner will also receive:
- a CANON EOS 2000D with EF-S 18-55 IS II LENS courtesy of T4 Cameras
- a tour of Steve Russell Studios in Stroud
- a new signed copy of Martin Parr’s classic book ‘The Last Resort’
- 2nd prize Overall winner will also receive:
- a place on a one-day Light and Land Photography Workshop of their choosing (subject to availability)
- a new copy of The Royal Photographic Society Portfolio 2 book
- 3rd prize Overall winner will also receive:
- a one year membership of The Royal Photographic Society
- a 12-month print subscription to Amateur Photographer Premium Edition
- a new copy of The Royal Photographic Society Portfolio 2 book
- Under 16 overall winner will also receive:
- one year membership of The Royal Photographic Society
- a Steve Russell Print
- a pre-owned copy of ‘Genesis’ by Sebastião Salgado
- Highly Commended and Commended photographs will be chosen from the Under 16 group and from each theme, Nature, Happiness is .. and Caring and Sharing, and the photographers will each receive pre-owned photography books courtesy of Richard Olpin Photography and a certificate.
The prizes are non exchangeable, non transferable and no cash alternative will be offered. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into. With best endeavours, we plan to notify winners by 11th September 2021.
Data Protection and Privacy
The winners agree to the use of their supplied name and image in any publicity material in relation to the competition.
Cobalt will share the winners’ supplied contact details with prize sponsors for the sole purpose of delivering the prizes.
Entrants will be given the option to receive further correspondence from Cobalt; if they choose not to Cobalt will only contact them regarding the competition and no contact will be made by the charity after the competition ends.
Uploading an entry to this competition signifies an entrant’s acceptance of these terms and conditions in their entirety.