A gift in your will
Leave a gift in your will
By leaving a gift in your will, you can help ensure that Cobalt can be there for even more people in the future. Last year, over a half of our fundraising income came through gifts in wills, without this vital source of income every year Cobalt would not be the charity that it is today. We are so grateful to all those donors and their families for these special gifts.
After taking care of family and friends, even a small amount can make a big difference.
One in two of us will get cancer in our lifetime; a gift in your will could help to ensure more people recover and their families get to spend more precious time with their loved ones.
Can you help to ensure we continue to be here for future patients?
When updating their wills, special supporters, Lyn and Ian, decided to include a gift in their will to Cobalt. We decided to leave a gift to Cobalt in our will because we thought “why wouldn’t we?”. If it goes towards saving even one person’s life, it would be worth it. We are so lucky to have such up-to-date scanning equipment available to us locally that we need to ensure it is there for many years to come.
Every legacy gift we receive is really important to us. There are a couple of options for the type of gift you can choose to make:
- A share of your estate: Giving a percentage share of your estate once all other legacies and expenses have been settled. This is the most valuable type of gift as it retains its value over time. This is a ‘residuary gift’.
- A fixed sum of money: It can be any amount from a few pounds to thousands of pounds. This is a ‘pecuniary gift’.
We recommend you consult with a professional solicitor who carries the appropriate experience for all the formal advice regarding the writing of your will and leaving a legacy to charity.
If you do choose to leave a gift to us, please provide your solicitor with the following information: Cobalt, Linton House, Thirlestaine Road, Cheltenham, GL53 7AS. Registered charity number: 1090790
Making it easier for you
Free will writing service
We’ve teamed up with wills specialists Guardian Angel so that you can write a simple Will for free. Wills can be made online or over the telephone and can take as little as 15 minutes or a face-to-face service is also available. Every will is overseen by an expert. Once written, you can make changes to your new will as often as you like for just £10 per year.
By taking up the offer of a free will you are under no obligation to include a gift to Cobalt, but we hope you will consider this once loved ones are provided for.
Find a solicitor in your local area
If you would prefer to independently make a will using a local solicitor who is able to advise you on leaving charitable gifts, our Remember a charity membership can help.
Cobalt’s Make a Will Month
During April each year we run a scheme with local partner solicitors who waive their fees for writing a simple will in lieu of a suggested minimum donation to Cobalt.
Our promise to you when you put a gift in your will to Cobalt
- We’ll answer any questions honestly and quickly
- We won’t put you under pressure – this is a big decision so please decide in your own time
- Your loved ones come first – we respect that and won’t try to change it
- We’ll use your special gift wisely and effectively
- You don’t have to tell us your decision – we respect your right to privacy
- You can come and see our service first hand – just let us know
- If you want your gift to be spent in an area that’s special to you, we’ll arrange it.
For further information on leaving a gift in your will please contact Helen Tomes, Supporter Relations Officer on 01242 535922.